SC - New World Feast/Recipes

Tue Sep 14 19:25:09 PDT 1999

> LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > The only New World citrus fruit I am familiar with is the grapefruit.
>
> I understood the grapefruit to be a nineteenth-century Asian hybrid of
> the pomelo and the uglifruit. Have I been misinformed? Or am I
> misremembering? At this point, I wouldn't rule out that I _dreamt_ it...
>
> Adamantius

According to Root, it appeared in Jamaica about 200 years ago and its origin
is unknown.  There are two theories on its origin.  First, that it is a
natural cross between two other citrus species or that it is a mutation,
probably of the pummelo or pomelo.  It was accepted as a separate species of
citrus in 1830.

Bear