SC - Venison (was Boar Recipe)

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 11:53:52 PDT 1999

- -Poster:<Elysant at aol.com>

the Mordonna said:
>  Okay, I have seen that in some of the period recipes, but I come from the
>  South.  All my relatives and all my in-laws, and all my friends are
hunters
>  and cooks, and I've never heard anything but Deer, Elk, Moose, and the
like
>  called venison.

I've been following this thread with interest, and have couple of questions.
In the book The Year 1000 it is stated that there were "some wild boar in
England in the year 1000, as there were a few surviving wolves, but much more
numerous were the herds of free range pigs which roamed the woodlands".

Does this indicate perhaps that there was a quicker decline in the boar
population as compared to other hunted quadrupeds such as deer I wonder?
(The book says nothing about deer).  If so, could this explain why we've
(popularly) dissociated the term "venison" with boar?

Also, going back to the quote, I haven't heard too much about pig hunts and
have never heard pig being called venison (although I realise that if pig was
hunted then
it could be classified as such) .  Is it that a good percentage of pigs were
domesticated in that era, and as such were more available without people
having
to resort to  hunting them (and therefore not generally associated with the
term venison)?

Elysant