SC - Orange Omelette - original recipe

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Sun Sep 19 10:40:39 PDT 1999

ana l. valdes wrote:

> But dear Ras: my observation wanted only point out the "Church" at that
> days was not the "Church" we know from the Rennaissance, but a very
> mixed up combination of old practices and foreigner traditions taken
> from far places, from Jerusalen to Babylon. And I believed the recipe
> from Redon was taken from Apicius book, my misstake :)
> Ana

Ana,
	Not to be argumentative, _but_... I spent a fair amount of my studies
under the tutelage of a Dominican, have studied quite a bit of Church
(Roman, that is, plus the major heretical factions) history, and I have
an alternate persona of a Dominican scholar who is a Canon Lawyer. It is
my understanding that the Church is a great deal less a hodgepodge of
old pre-Christian traditions that many modern minds would have us think
(nor was the Church of the Renaissance Counter-Reformation the
monolithic institution that many of us perceive it to be). Yes, there
are specific instances where the Church co-opted celebration dates,
etc., but the plain fact the the Roman Church survived and the other
traditions did not will point you to which tradition had the more
lasting influence on society...
	However, none of this really relates to cooking. Except to say that I
don't think that the title "Omlette for Hrlots and Ruffians" is literal-
perhaps it is an indication of the perceived economic status of those
who ate it or it might have been a joke. But I don't think thta it has
anything to do with the lovely 'working girls' in the whorehouse owned
by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

'Lainie
AKA Father Abelard the Lesser
AKA Queen Carmen, who thinks some recipes with her favorite foods would
be nice... some greens, perhaps? Maybe a leetle beer? BUT NO SALT!