SC - Orange Omelette - original recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Sep 19 11:10:02 PDT 1999

"Laura C. Minnick" wrote:

>         However, none of this really relates to cooking. Except to say that I
> don't think that the title "Omlette for Hrlots and Ruffians" is literal-
> perhaps it is an indication of the perceived economic status of those
> who ate it or it might have been a joke. But I don't think thta it has
> anything to do with the lovely 'working girls' in the whorehouse owned
> by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Agreed. Both Anthimus and Platina give recipes, as I recall, that they
personally feel are unhealthful, but include as an example, perhaps, of
common practice. I think my favorite is an eel pie recipe of Platina's,
which explains how to make it in the most meticulous instructions, then
says something like, "and then quickly serve it to your enemies, because
there could be no better poison than this dish..."

It may be that the author of the original recipe, for one reason or
another, either doesn't like the dish (I have several nice eggplant
recipes although I personally dislike the stuff), or thinks it is
unhealthful for those with refines tastes or whose diets are unused to
certain foods considered to be more appropriate, well, for harlots and
ruffians.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy