SC - It's Harvest Time

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 19 18:38:41 PDT 1999

Kerri said:
> Here in Alaska, it's harvest time as the first frosts are mere moments away. My
> apprentice Claire and I travelled to a local U-Pick farm yesterday and had a
> wonderful time despite high winds, rain, and slippery mud. Suffice it to say our
> gathering was successful. We came away with radishes, turnips (with greens),
> beets (with greens), red kale, spinach, carrots, raspberries (VERY ripe), and a
> handful of dill.

An interesting suggestion, Kerri. We have talked about turnip greens and beet
greens here before. I've wondered how you would get them since in the grocery
store these "unwanted" portions are already trimmed off. For those in the right
regions and who have places where you can pick your own vegetables this might
be worth checking further.

> Were these root vegetables so common that they were not included in the cook
> books? I'd really like to go back and get more (we're looking to try to store
> these vegetables for use in January for 12th Night) but I'm not sure how much to
> get since I don't have recipes that use them.

Check these files in the FOOD section of my Florilegium. There are recipes that
involve carrots, turnips and parsnips.
turnips-msg       (38K)  2/25/99    Turnips in period. Recipes.
root-veg-msg     (100K)  9/ 7/99    Medieval and period root vegetables.
vegetables-msg    (92K)  8/27/99    Period vegetables. Recipes.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****