SC - It's Harvest Time

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Sun Sep 19 19:19:50 PDT 1999

Stefan said:

>We have talked about turnip greens and beet greens here before. I've
wondered how you would get them since in the grocery store these "unwanted"
portions are already trimmed off.  <

They might be down your way, Stefan, but they certainly aren't up here.
Granted, you have to look around a bit, but they're here.

BTW, if you can't find them fresh, the freezer sections of most grocery
stores usually have turnip, mustard and collard greens for sale- you just
have to look for them. They're usually in the section with the less flashy
packaged vegetables like the 10-12 oz packages of peas, broccoli or spinach.
Most of the "unusual" greens taste pretty good cooked with a little ham- you
can tell which ones by the long cooking times. Spinach is best fresh, cooked
in a sealed pot with just the wash water on them, just barely wilted, beet
greens are great cooked with diced beets, a half cup or so of water, not
covered, but maybe 1/2-3/4 inch in the pan, and butter and pepper- cook them
to just tender.

FWIW, Stefan, the seed catalogues are now advertising various root vegetable
varieties as being particularly good for their greens. If you want to try to
grow beets, seed them way too close and thin them as the summer goes on-
take the thinnings, wash them, and serve them up. I honestly like both beets
and greens so much, I'm not sure which I like better ;-)

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio