SC - Catfish

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 20 15:27:27 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/20/99 4:10:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Mordonna22 at aol.com writes:

<< <<  Farm raised catfish
  tastes a whole lot better than wild catfish. >>

Depends.

 <<A scurrilous and untrue statement.>>

Not necessarily. Like many kinds of fresh water fish the cooler to water the
sweeter the flesh of the fish. Catfish caught in cool lakes, rivers and ponds
will not have the muddy flavor that fish caught in the summer months or in
warm environments often have. The only caution I would suggest is to be
careful in skinning them and use plenty of fresh water because the slime from
the skin can also impart an objectionable fishy flavor to the flesh.

Catfish caught in warm water oftentimes has a dark streak of flesh on each
side. If this is removed and discarded then the fish is soaked in salt water
to remove residual blood and other off flavors it becomes tasty again.

<< Farm raised catfish is blah bland.>>

True but you can achieve some sort of 'flavor' if you soak it in saltwater
overnight which is what should be done to 'wild' catfish and bullheads
anyway. OTOH, farm raised catfish are much tastier than farm raised trout.

Given a choice, I would personally choose farm raised fish over wild fish in
the heat of summer but choose wild fish I the cool and colder months.

<< Mordonna >>

Ras