SC - It's Harvest Time

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Tue Sep 21 14:09:48 PDT 1999

Brangwayna wrote:
> ... The recipe just specifies "good broth"; I
>used vegetable broth because I wanted it to be a vegetarian dish. ...

If you'd like to try period-style vegetarian cooking, consider substituting
almond milk (and perhaps a little olive oil) for the broth. There are some
recipes that seem to indicate that this was a fairly usual practice, such as
"appulmose," no. II 35 in _Curye_on_Inglysch_. But I don't recall ever
seeing a period reference to vegetable "broth."

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon