SC - weird Anglo/Saxon question

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Sep 22 12:25:48 PDT 1999

Hi y'all!
	(I'm in Southern An Tir, after all...)

	Something interesting came up earlier this morning on Ansax-Net, the
Anglo-Saxon academic list. Mimi Miller reported that while translating a
portion of an Old English version of the Prodigal Son story, one of her
students came up with a line where the son wanted to eat 'pork and snow
peas'. They corrected the grammar (the son was eating with the swine,
not of them) but  I am still mystified (and no, I don't have the
original of the text)- were there snow peas in A/S England? Peas or
beans? But Snow peas? I think of them in Chinese food, not European...

Still scratching my fuzzy lil' head,

'Lainie