SC - Flemish money

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 08:33:12 PDT 1999

Hello the list!

Sigh.  I thought I was going to be able to avoid typing in all these numbers
- - I'm using a French keyboard which is fairly unfamiliar to my fingers.
Here is a full list of the conversions:

one pound (also referred to as l.):  20 shillings (s.)
a pound is also worth 120 stuivers apparently all over the stuiver-using
region.  It is also worth 6 normal or keyser-guilders.

The keyser-guilder is worth 20 stuivers, or 1s 8d.  Other guilders in use at
the time are Philippus guilders, worth 25 stuivers or 4s 2d, and Andries
guilders, worth 29 stuivers or 4s 10d.

The stuiver is worth 2d., and also worth 48 Flemish mites or 72 Brabantine
mites.

There are 12 pence (d.) to a shilling, and 24 mites (m.) to a penny.

Other coins in use at the same time, at least in Flanders (I can't speak for
the rest of the low countries) are:

ducat:  worth 6s 8d or 40 stuivers
rijder:  worth 6s 6d or 39 stuivers
lion/leeuw:  7s 6d or 45 stuivers
castiliaan:  8s 6d or 51 stuivers

I hope this sorts out the problems any of you may have had with the coins
mentioned earlier.  As I said in the original message, some of the prices
were in guilders and stuivers, some in Lsd.  Using Varenbrakens' own
conversions I have put the lot into Lsd for easier comparison.  If you would
like to see any of the middle Dutch to verify my actions, I can send it to
you privately.

Cairistiona