SC - Ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 23 22:10:23 PDT 1999

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/23/1999 7:22:15 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> troy at asan.com writes:
>
> <<  Me, I'm perfectly happy for there to be two
>  or more acceptable dictionary definitions.  >>
>
> Me, too.  I was just pointing out that not everyone assumed the meat had been
> cured, just because it was called "ham."  I do have a question, though.  If
> you go to your butcher and want to order some uncured flesh from the hip or
> thigh of any of the animals ham comes from, what do you ask for?

Fresh ham.

Bearing in mind, of course, that most retail butchers in the U.S. don't
carry boar, or bear, or venison, or dog, but sell plenty of pork-based
ham, fresh or otherwise...

So while one has to specify fresh ham to distinguish it from ham, which
is usually assumed to be cured in some way, one doesn't normally need to
specify that it should come from a hog. Unless you're in a really
unusual butcher shop, like the specialty Norwegian places in Bay Ridge,
Brooklyn, which sell fennlaer, which is the name for mutton hams. But in
addition to fennlaer, they also sell ham ;  ) .

Adamantius, who couldn't resist that last bit
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com