SC - Is Medieval Food Yucky?

Badger bagbane at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 26 05:22:03 PDT 1999

>From my experiences, I think the problem might be that the feastocrats try to
please everyone and end up pleasing nobody. I have gone to feasts where the food
was underseasoned that the food was bland. If you are worried about too much salt
in a meal becouse of high blood pressure then at least put some salt sellers out.
Let the feasters be able to adjust their own salt. How many of you out there have
adjusted recipies from your mom? It is human nature to add a little more pinch
here, dash there. Just becouse the recipie from Cariadoc's or Cindy Renfrow's
book doesn't mean it can't be adjusted. IMHO if you have a period spice on hand
for a dish that might zip it up a little then use it. Just remember the spice
should be available for the time and place where the dish was made. It seems that
some cooks equate medieval cooking with blandness. The amount of Roman texts that
list various spices should be proof enough that the food wasn't bland. Just
becouse the empire crumbled doesn't mean that the people decided to give up on
flavor.
- --
Badger

I don't have morals, just standards.