SC - Re: Welcome to sca-cooks

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Sun Sep 26 08:06:03 PDT 1999

Adamantius wrote:
>Impossible before the 15th century, I agree, but not indispensable today
>by any means. There are regional variants, several of which are without
>tomato. In much of northern Spain similar dishes would be thought of as
>garlic soup, but in many parts of the south they're called gazpacho. Or
>so I'm informed both by an article I read a few years ago (either
>Natural History or National Geographic, I forget which, in an article
>about Andalusia) and from the personal accounts of travellers I know.

In The Alice B. Toklas Cookbook, there is a chapter on soup. It has exactly
seven recipes and they are all gazpacho or iced soups she considers related
(Greek tarata, Turkish cacik and Polish chlodnik). The gazpachos of Malaga,
Seville and Segovia all contain at least some tomato; the gazpacho of
Cordoba does not.

Alice (not the most reliable authority perhaps, but great fun to read) says:
"It was a result of eating gazpacho in Spain lately that I came to the
conclusion that recipes through conquests and occupations have travelled
far." And later on, she describes visit to a bookstore to try to track down
gazpacho recipes: "Cookbooks without number, exactly eleven, were offered
for inspection but not a gazpacho in any index. Oh, said the clerk,
gazpachos are only eaten in Spain by peasants and Americans."

Nanna