SC - spaetzle

Valoise Armstrong varmstro at zipcon.net
Sun Sep 26 11:43:09 PDT 1999

 Huette von Ahrens wrote:
>I find this very interesting because my grandmother
>made spaetzle not by rolling them out or by ricing the
>dough, but by spooning the dough directly from the
>bowl into the boiling water.  My grandmother also made
>noodles by rolling them out and slicing them.  She
>also made dumplings using a different recipe.  The
>noodles she called "Knoedel" and the dumplings
>"Dumpfknoedel".
>And these were completely different in taste from her
>spaetzle.  I am wondering if her method of making
>spaetzle is an older version than the other two
>methods.  My grandmother was from East Prussia.

The problem with Knoedl, Klosse and other dumplings is that there are so
many regional variations is name and type. When I was in Graz (in Styria in
Austria) I lived with a grad student who cooked two kinds of dumplings -
Semmelknoedl (with bread cubes, onions, and bacon) and Marillenknoedel
(with whole apricots encased in a flour dough). I also ate elsewhere Knoedl
with a potato-based dough and Servietenknoedl (giant dumpling rolled in a
napkin to cook and sliced when done). A friend warned me about the
Germknoedl he had ordered in a restaurant that was a huge yeast-raised item
that sat like a lead weight in his gut. These were all encountered in one
city. I'm sure that there endless variations across German-speaking Europe.

Valoise