SC - Blackberry/Apple Pie

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sun Sep 26 20:30:46 PDT 1999

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

>  I am looking for recipes for blackberry/ apple pies. Preferably period and
>  Celtic or welsh.  As I have read that the Celts did not pick blackberries
>  after Celtic New Years because the berries would have been cursed by the
>  fairies (frost).

This is possible, :-) usually though, November is a little late for
blackberries anyway.  The wild ones are ripe and are picked usually during
September to the first half of October or so. :-)

>  So I thought Blackberry Pie would be good for Celtic New
>  Year, but all Blackberry would be to costly, which is why Blackberry/ Apple
>  Pie. Any help or opinions are welcomed.

In Wales we make all kinds of fruit tarts (as pies are called).  They usually
have a pastry top and bottom, and are cooked on plates.  I was unable to find
a specific blackberry or blackberry and apple tart recipe for you in my Welsh
cookbooks (sorry), but I do know that both tarts are popular in Wales at this
time of year (my mother makes both).

Instead then, here's a traditional Welsh recipe for "Tarten Eirin" (Plum
Tart) which also has apples in it.  Perhaps you could substitute blackberries
for the plums?

Elysant
(BTW I do not have documentation on how old this recipe is).

Tarten Eirin

Filling
1 lb plums, cut in half and stone removed
4 small apples sliced
4 oz of sugar for sweetening, and a little water

Pastry
The pastry is spiced - using 8 oz. flour and 4 oz. fat and 1/2oz sugar and a
little water; with 1/4 teaspoonful of cinnamon and a pinch of mixed spice.

Line a plate (or shallow tin) with half the pastry.  Fill with fruit, cover
with sugar and add a little water.  Cover with the rest of the pastry, seal
the top and bottom  together around the edges, cut a few slits in the middle
of the top, and bake the tart for 45 minutes (400 degrees for 20 minutes,
then turn down to 350 degrees to finish).