OT diabetes was Re: SC - Can medieval food be heart-smart?

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Sep 26 21:18:34 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 26 Sep 99,, that Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> hey all and espceially Brighid from Anne-Marie
>
> I was told:
> >My lady, I know you said this humorously, but I must implore you not to
> >perpetuate the myth that eating sugar causes diabetes.
>
> nah, I was referring to the fact that if I eat sugar I get all wonky. My
> body apparently does not handle sugar the way some folks can. Since I have
> diabetes in my family, and no one in my family is without some sort of
> sugar problem (both hyperglycemia and hypo), I am taking discretion as the
> better part of valor and tend to stay away from it (with mixed success, I
> must admit).

My apologies, then.  This is a topic on which I tend to be perhaps a little
too sensitive.

[snip]
> hope this helps clarify my point...

Considerably.  Thank you for the explanation.

> and I now return you to your regularly
> scheculed food discussion :)... --AM

I tried something different at lunch today.  De Nola says that noodles in
chicken broth are good with grated cheese.  I happened to have some
homemade chicken noodle soup on hand, and I tried sprinkling it with
Manchego cheese, which is a sharp Spanish sheep's-milk cheese.  It
was very good.  I did not add the almond milk (or goat's milk) that the
recipe calls for, but it is listed as an optional ingredient.  I had feared
that almond milk would make the soup too bland, but considering the
sharpness of the cheese, I don't think that would be a problem.  I think it
would give a nice balance to the flavor (and the creamier texture would
be nice, too).  However, next time I will continue to omit sugar, which is
also an optional ingredient.  :-)

Brighid
Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)