SC - Blackberry/Apple Pie

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 07:24:15 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/27/99 3:38:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ddfr at best.com
writes:

<< Rolled oats are a modern invention. Would the recipe work with whole oats
 or oatmeal in the old sense?

Definitely, it would, especially using berries as they should be juicy enough
to help the oats cook if mixed like a pottage.

In terms of having a period recipe to refer from, that I don't have and I
know this is where how we can end up getting pineapples out of pine nuts.
However, in my limited knowledge of early Celtic foods, I have not found any
existing recipes at all. I have come across a reference to a "cranberry-tart
and a copious libation of rich plain cream" that  concluded an 1826 dinner by
the Mistress Margaret Dods reproduced in the book The Scots Kitchen (I've
lost my cover page with the author's name) first printed in 1929 by Blackie &
Son Ltd, Glasgow. The book discusses "Sowans"-oatmeal water and salt, served
with milk, "Meale puddings"- oatmeal, suet, salt, pepper, onion and tripe,
and a few other interesting basic Scottish foods. Using these basics and
sweetening the dish with fruit and honey is how I came up with my ideas for
the previously noted recipe.

I realize this in out of period by a landslide, however when I began
researching early Celtic foods, my understanding was that there was no
written recipes and that much of what we call reproducing a Celtic feast was
by inferrence using archeological sources, literary sources and knowledge of
foods that existed in that area at that time. This leaves a great deal to be
desired for cooking purists and obviously there is more out there about this
period that can be dug up. I look forward to learning more.:)

Hauviette