SC - spaetzle

Thomas Gloning Thomas.Gloning at germanistik.uni-giessen.de
Mon Sep 27 17:31:33 PDT 1999

Thanks a lot for the publication data. I will look and see if my local
libraries in Tuebingen have the Lerch book. The dictionaries I used up
to now are of not much help, even the "Schwaebisches Woerterbuch" with
its seven volumes! Strange. The suebian Cotta cookery book of 1764 has
no Spaetzle (as far as I can see, screening the almost 700 pages), only
several kinds of "Knoepflein". But whereas todays "Knoepfle" are quite
similar to Spaetzle, the Cotta-recipes for "Knoepflein" have little
resemblance to Spaetzle. Vollmer, in her "Sprachliches aus
altschwaebischen Kochbuechern" does not mention Spaetzle. I still
believe that Spaetzle are a 'late' dish, but I would be glad to find out
that the view of 'medieval spaetzle' is correct.

More later,
Thomas