Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: Mourning Song (FWD)

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Sep 28 05:56:44 PDT 1999

I've been to several funerals here in the Midwest, and haven't yet seen
casseroles served. The two I remember best, were Father Lee's, where the
Sisters served tuna fish sandwiches, potato chips, and celery and carrot
stcks, my own father's, where deli plates of sliced meats and cheeses and
such were served, with other sandwich makings, and each of the parents of
Father Pandolfo, where the women of the parish cooked up a storm of fried
chicken and the fixings, with a beef roast, a ham, and yes, the inevitable
green bean casserole, but that's the only casserole I've ever seen at a
funeral feast here.

The funerals included one in a large town, Dayton, a moderate town,
Zanesville, and a small town, McConnellsville, all in Ohio, and all in the
Midwest.

I can only think that the perception of the casseroles being served at
funerals here is because in your areas, where ever they may be, is either a
local phenomenon, or just simply a practical solution devised by the local
cooks to make eating for the bereft an easy thing to do- I know when my
father died, I was unable to eat or sleep for 4 days, much as friends and
family tried to feed me and help me rest.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio