Funeral Feasts - was Re: SC - Marion Zimmer Bradley: Mourning Song (FWD)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 09:15:03 PDT 1999

>phlip writes:
>
><< I can only think that the perception of the casseroles being served at
>  funerals here is because in your areas, where ever they may be, is either
>  local phenomenon,  >>
>Ras adds:
>This is also a phenomenon in  North Central PA, at least in my family. The
>current custom is that each mourner brings a dish to pass (usually a
>casserole of some sort)  . . .  The 'funeral' feast usually starts the day
>after death and continues
>until the departed is laid to rest with everyone gathering after the
>funeral
>at which point all the various food stuffs are laid out on a table for
>anyone
>to eat.

In the south, there would be casseroles of various sorts as well as all the
stuff Phlip mentioned.  Cakes, pies, jello salads, jugs of ice tea, platters
with large piles of ham biscuits, devilled eggs or home fried chicken are to
be expected as well. Someone who had to come in from far away might
contribute bags of ice for drinks, a couple of bottles of soda, or something
from the grocery store deli, but generally homecooked food is the thing.  As
you leave, whatever Granny or Auntie who has taken charge of the food will
wash out empty disposable pie tins and fill them with far too much food for
you to take home.  Take it whether or not you really want it, because she
knows you will be hungry when you get home, whether the drive was 20 minutes
or 6 hours.  You think you are stuffed now, and will surely be too tired to
eat when you reach home, but you are wrong.

Bonne