SC - Whipped Cream

Michael Macchione Michael.Macchione at widener.edu
Tue Sep 28 09:37:14 PDT 1999

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> cclark at vicon.net wrote:
> >
> > Okay, who knows Italian? What does "nenene si fa" mean?
>
> I was gonna say I thought it meant, "Oooh, baby, thass what I like!',
> but I was afraid people might believe me.

uhm, not quite... :)

> If you look at the figures in the illustration, they all seem to have
> comparable expressions captioning them, and they all seem to include
> variations on "si fa _________". I think it's an abbreviated form of
> words meaning "he's making __________". What nenene is, I have no idea.
> Whatever it is, he seems to be making it.

My Italian is rather rusty, but I think I can make a stab at this...
Part of the problem I think is that the hand writing is a bit poor.  A
few of those n's are actually v's.

Left Side (vertical):

Si fa lavorcri di latte =  He is making "worked" milk (cream?)  (maybe "he
is working the milk")

Bottom Right:

Latte (latre?) mele si fa = He is making apple milk  (this seems odd to
me since it looks like he is churning butter but butter is burro)

Bottom Center and Bottom Left

		neveve si fa

Cuochi (sp???) freschi dove fa lavorcri de latta

=======

		he is making "snow" (or something related)

Fresh cooks where he works the milk

Now the problem is Cuochi looks a lot like Luochi which I can't define
and as I said earlier the n's and v's look a like and in this case the u
could be a v or an n.   but none of those make sense either.  Possibly,
it's Fuochi which would be fires.   "Fresh fires where the milk is worked?"

regarding the nenene which I believe to really be neveve (the v's look
like the v in dove = where).   Since he is whipping something, has
heaping bowl full of something and a tool there which to me looks like it
could be used for aerating something.  I would guess that he is making
whipped cream or something similar, which could look a lot like snow (=
neve).

Kael