SC - Pennsic XXIX Butchering class.

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 28 10:04:27 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/28/99 12:01:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip at morganco.net writes:

<< and
 while I would be willing to teach one-on-one, as I did with Ras, >>

Correct. Phlip did teach me her way of killing rabbits although I think that
breaking their necks as we had always done in my family is a far more humane
method than cutting their throats. Nevertheless, I was not offended by her
methods at the time and all of the animals died relatively quickly, if not
instantly, except for one. Another animal had been beat up so bad by his cage
mates that we made the decision not to slaughter it for health reasons.
Although it's wounds healed, it did not survive the attack by more than 2
months. Lord Ramus had taken over its care and was devastated by its  final
demise. ;-(

Also regarding the use of bludgeoning or fire arms for the kill: Bludgeoning
the animal or shooting it in the head renders the animal immediately
unconscious and then the bleeding can be accomplished with absolutely no pain
to the animal.

Traditionally larger animals such as pigs, goats and cattle where bludgeoned
with a sledge hammer first then the kill was accomplished. Since the animals
mentioned are rabbits and pigs, neither of these animals are kosher and
slitting their throats first serves no good purpose except to cause undo pain
to the animal and provide the executioner with a rush of adrenaline more
commonly known as 'blood lust.' Anyone who slaughters regularly or has
attended bullfights, cockfights or dog fights is familiar with this physical
high regarding the act of killing.

Chickens and other fowl are most humanely brought to their death by wringing
their necks or chopping off their heads although with certain foul such as
peacocks the period method was to stick a knife through the roof of their
mouth thereby rendering their brains into pulpy uselessness to the animal and
resulting in their demise. Pigeons and other small birds may be hastened to
the stew pot by simply popping their heads off.

Use of firearms for slaughtering was known and used in period although their
use in the SCA, Inc. unlike some other historical recreationists groups, is
prohibited on site. Other slaughtering methods often times included
suffocation, starvation and in the case of dogs in some parts of the world
slow torture. Since the idea here is to provide the cook with a dead animal
for the stew pot and to provide it ASAP, I would think that the appropriate
method would be one which provides minimal or, ideally, no pain. And to
hasten that death as swiftly as possible in the MOST humane way possible with
little or no regard to 'period' methods especially when death can be
accomplished swifter and more humanely with modern techniques.

Just my 2 dinars,

Ras