SC - Pennsic Butchering Class

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Tue Sep 28 15:20:55 PDT 1999

Hello,

I've given it some thought and, although I'm sure the instructors in
this class are professional and caring, I would like to have
arraingements
made for either a vet or licensed butcher to be on hand when the
slaughtering is done. This is for a couple of reasons. One is the fact
that any questions or perhaps any liability would be covered and
another is that such a person could lend some very learned discussion
on the issue.

I worry about another Tuchuk incident of the bleeding animal getting
away or something. This may be unfounded fears but I would prefer that
if this is discussed on this list with the intention of people really
doing
it that I could be in some way responsible for the accidental inhumane
treatment of an animal. Being a sensitive sort myself (no I won't go
into my past) I prefer a professional be on hand.  I would like
agreement and assurances that this would be done before I allow any
more discussions on the arraingements of the live animals to be on
this list. The discussions of the meat from these formerly live
animals is okay but none about the actual killing or butchering until
and unless a professional has been brokered.

I know this may make me seem a fuddy-duddy or bleeding heart and
I have given this a lot of thought. This is no slam to Philip or any of
the other coordinators but I have to worry about content of my list
and as long as this list says "SCA" the Society would be partly to
blame if something happened. I don't mind philosophical discussions
about strange things but this is an actual event in the planning and
I want all bases covered.

I'm sorry.

Yours,

Gunthar