SC - Dark Breads revisited-mostly OT

Wed Sep 29 20:36:44 PDT 1999

> Thought some of you might be interested.  Are their perchance bread
> recipes
> out there that call for raisins that we may have misinterpreted?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lord Frederich Holstein der Tollhase

Of the four period European bread recipes, none calls for raisins.  From
Nana's translation of period Danish(?) comments on bread, it is obvious that
some form of dill bread is period.

It is possible that raisins were used in some Roman bread recipes, but I
haven't seen any and I have yet to find Chrysippus of Tyana's treatise on
bread, which would likely provide the most definitive answer.

In any event, most fruit filled breads add relatively coarse pieces of fruit
during the shaping rather than pulping it into the dough.  The technique is
worth remembering for special occasions.

Bear