SC - Charlemagne's Cheese [long]

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Sep 30 01:32:02 PDT 1999

- -----Original Message-----
From: david friedman <ddfr at best.com>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: 30. september 1999 03:11
Subject: Re: SC - Charlemagne's Cheese [long]

>>Well, neither story originates with Toussaint-Samat (who is a she, BTW,
not
>>a he). Larousse Gastronomique says in the entry for roquefort: "it was
>>Charlemagne´s favourite cheese", and in the entry for brie: "Brie appears
>>have been in existence in the time of Charlemagne, who is said to have
eaten
>>it at the priory of Rueil-en-Brie."
>
>When did Toussaint-Samat write? Is it clear whether her book is earlier or
>later than the edition of the Larousse you are quoting?
>
>In any case, my impression is that the Larousse is quite unreliable on
>matters historical.

I agree, and I wasn´t quoting Larousse as a historical authority on
Charlemagne´s cheese tastes. The point I wanted to make but forgot to add is
that I´ve seen these cheese stories in several other publications, which
doesn´t make them any more true, and they seem to be old legends in France.

Toussaint-Samat´s book was originally published in 1987; the