SC - Charlemagne's Cheese [long]

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Sep 30 04:09:42 PDT 1999

david friedman wrote:

> >Well, neither story originates with Toussaint-Samat (who is a she, BTW, not
> >a he). Larousse Gastronomique says in the entry for roquefort: "it was
> >Charlemagne´s favourite cheese", and in the entry for brie: "Brie appears to
> >have been in existence in the time of Charlemagne, who is said to have eaten
> >it at the priory of Rueil-en-Brie."
>
> When did Toussaint-Samat write? Is it clear whether her book is earlier or
> later than the edition of the Larousse you are quoting?

Later, I suspect, probably the 1980's. Toussaint-Hamat probably used
something before (or at least other than) the Lang "American" edition,
which I think is from 1984 or so. Her entire tone overall displays a
Francocentric view of the history of food which is not only intensely
annoying to me, but also dangerously misleading at times, annoying or not.

> In any case, my impression is that the Larousse is quite unreliable on
> matters historical.

In general, yes, but most often it displays its little boo-boos in
matters that don't pertain directly to French cookery. I'd buy its
information on cassoulet, but the information on, say, Peking duck
served with demi-glaze sauce is pretty openly laughable, as is most of
the information on American and Asian cookery.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com