SC - OT -Pronounciation

Nanna Rognvaldardottir nanna at idunn.is
Wed Sep 1 03:10:37 PDT 1999

Huette,

No offense taken. Once I saw the misunderstanding, I found your reaction
quite natural - I would have been mightily put out myself if someone had
made a comment about my language that was as inaccurate and ignorant as what
you thought I (and my brother) were saying. I´m glad that is cleared up now.

I don´t think unvoiced means quite the same as aspirated (my brother says
"unvoiced unaspirated alveolar stop (t)" in the part of his explanation that
was written in English and my dictionaries give different explanations) but
then I´m really out of my depth here - I know next to nothing about
phonetics, even less about English phonetics terminology, so the less I say
about the subject, the better. Should have kept quiet in the first place, of
course.

>It is so hard to interpret
>someone's words when all you have is the words and not
the tone or inflection.

So true. However, the tone or inflection might not help much with
Icelandic - I´ve heard people who have been listening to Icelanders talk to
each other for a short time say "You all sound so angry". It is a language
with a lot of harsh sounds and clipped comments. (And if I were speaking
English - well, kinder souls tell me my pronounciation of English is
somewhat less than perfect. My children just say it is horrible.)

Nanna