SC - Re: Dulce de Leche

alysk at ix.netcom.com alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 1 14:02:27 PDT 1999

Orlaith wrote:

>Okay, question about this....I am thinking about making it for a camping
>thing (not SCA) that I am doing this weekend.  Once you have boiled it in
>the can, is it shelf stable in the unopened can?  Or should I keep it in the
>cooler until I use it?

If you haven't opened the can (see above) it will keep for a lo-o-o-ong time on the shelf.  I've
got some that I boiled up several years ago...

BTW, my earlier messages weren't getting through...The "boiled in a can for three to six hours"
method is what my host family in Argentina showed me back in 1963.  The sweetened condensed milk
method was what they used and called "dulce de leche".  It's a great thing to take to show and
tell in a Spanish class!

Alys Katharine