SC - Adventures with wafers - part the third (long)

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Fri Sep 3 17:18:14 PDT 1999

Since I haven't seen _Food and Drink in Medieval Poland_ myself yet, I decided
to try to get a little more information about the saffron wafers recipe which
Stefan so kindly quoted for me.

I tracked down the editor of the Middle Ages series for the University of
Pennsylvania Press (UPenn Press published _Food and Drink_) to ask a few
questions. What follows is our conversation.
- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Dear Ms. Canepa:
>
>Below, the response from Will Weaver to your query.  The original recipe no
>longer survives as such; what he and Dembinska strove to do was to recreate
>the recipes as accurately as possible.
>
>"You might respond to the inquiry this way: The royal accounts
>mention saffron wafers often and purchase orders note the basic ingredients
>only when the wafers were made "in house."  Sometimes they were purchased
>from outside the royal castle (probably from a nunnery or a professional
>wafer baker).  Our only task was to figure out the proportions.  Maria
>interviewed some elderly nuns from a nunnery at Stary Sacz (I believe) to see
>how they made them.  There is a Czech medieval mss that shows either a king
>or saint holding a wafer iron (11th century I believe--it is depicted in the
>wafer book cited in the bibliography). So we had ingredients, we had oral
>material, and we had a visual source.  We then looked at late medieval and
>early renaissance cookery mss to see what the proportions were like.  Nearly
>all of the recipes were the same, I imagine because there is a very narrow
>band one must stay within in order to make the wafer recipe work.  Maria was
>even convinced many of the recipes copied one another, which is doubtless
>true.  I do not know what happened to her notes or personal files, but I
>suppose I could retrieve an old recipe from an Italian or French source, if
>that is what the food historian is looking for."  W3
>
>I hope this helps.
>
>Jerry Singerman
>

>Jerome E. Singerman
>Humanities Editor
>University of Pennsylvania Press
>4200 Pine Street
>Philadelphia, PA 19104-4011
>
>tel:  215 898-1681
>fax:  215 898-0404
So, as you can see, the saffron wafer recipe as given is an interpretation. I'll
post my results of this recipe when I next play with it.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL