SC - Adventures with wafers - part the third (long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Sep 3 23:20:33 PDT 1999

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> However, one of the directions for this soup is to brown the flour in melted
> butter over medium-high heat until "the roux turns a golden brown". I'd like
> to know if he is basing this on what a period recipe (not necessarily this
> one) says. Previously it has been claimed on this list that roux were
> a post-1600 technique.
>
> Stefan

In places like France and England, under the name "roux", this appears
to be true. On the other hand, fried/browned flour used as a thickening
and coloring agent appears in Sabina Welserin's cookbook, c. ~1553, C.E.

It does appear to be of later provenance than the use of simple starch
either stirred into cooking liquids or as slurries, or the use of
breadcrumbs as a thickener. Several people on the cooks' list (myself
included) made some educated guesses based on the sources they were
familiar with. It appears they were wrong.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com