SC - Sources and documentation

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 10:20:17 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/6/99 12:10:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rhiannon at madcelt.com writes:

<< how can you assume recipes from the list or even
 personal redactions are not being used? >>

Assumptions often are made by what information is available. :-) Since I
freely share  my redactions and my feast menus with the list, I assume
everyone else does also. So I guess I base my assumptions on my personal
experience.

<<Also, how would you categorize the
 use of recipes from either the "Miscellany" or "Take a Thousand eggs,"
 considering these are both published works, commercially available, whose
 authors are members of this list and frequently quote to this list from
 these publications?>>

Take A Thousand Eggs is commercially available now. It was not so until
recently. The Miscellany is not commercially available as are not the
Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks, Vol. I and II. The later
works are available at cost from the editor and compiler Duke Sir Cariadoc. I
do not own the former collection. I would classify them both as sources from
members of the list.

However, I feel my post was generalized when in actuality I used terms that
clearly meant 'usually' and 'for the most part.' Given that the MAJORITY of
posted sources for the contents of menus published to the LIST do not in fact
contain a large number of recipes from here, I merely was wondering why. No
other intent was meant.

Of course, if people choose to read things into any given post that is not my
concern. To site feasts outside those posted to the list is irrelevant to the
circumstances as described in my original post, IMO. I still think it
interesting that most of those who post recipes and menus to the list hardly
ever use any material they glean from the list in the way of redactions. I
think hearing the various reasons why is very cool.

Lest I be sited as an example of one who doesn't, I  do all of my own
redacting and have with only a single exception (the Squash Soup in The
Medieval Kitchen) never used any recipes from commercial sources, including
Thousand Eggs or the Miscellany, because there are so many recipes that have
not been done or that have been done poorly, I feel that time spent creating
new and better redactions is far more useful to the SCA  and to those who
study medieval cookery.

<< Rhiannon >>

Ras