SC - The first fish recipe

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Sep 6 17:12:59 PDT 1999

And it came to pass on 6 Sep 99,, that Kerri Canepa wrote:

> BTW can you recommend sources where I might get a sense of dainty vs non
> dainty foods? Size apparently doesn't mean much if the recent Icelandic
> chicken thread is any indication (halves or pieces of chicken in a dough).
> Also, what sources make distinctions between edible and inedible dough
> coverings? That would be very helpful information.

I think it might be worthwhile to look at various period cookbooks and
note where the recipe specifies that a coffin should be made of "fayre
paste".  This term is often not defined, but flipping through "Take a
Thousand Eggs", I see a number of recipes where "fayre paste"
includes sugar, saffron, and salt.  Sounds to me as though pastries
made of "fayre paste" are intended to have edible crusts.

Brighid

> Kerri
> Cedrin Etainnighean, OL

> ==