SC - Re: Redacting, Reconstruction and more

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 15:22:07 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/7/99 3:07:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, RuddR at aol.com
writes:

<< Ras you said  you had only used on recipe from a published source in your
 feasts. Do you just use your own redactions or do you use recipes from the
 list?>>

For feasts I use my own (with the Squash Soup exception). For personal
consumption in my home, I use many recipes other than my own.

<< I have a copy of the Miscellany (a wonderful collection!), and I have
cooked
 from it,>>

As have I but not for an SCA event or get together.

<...<snip>.....and shared a recipe from it with a friend, who was glad of
receiving it.>

As have I.

<< I have myself redacted  many recipes from primary sources, and use them
first when I am planning  medieval dinners, but I also like to draw on the
expertise of other >>

I find reading the work of others a great source of knowledge and at other
times humorous. Sometimes disbelief. Rarely disgust.

<<perhaps more experienced and knowledgeable) researchers into early cuisine.

Perhaps.

 <<Just because I personally have redacted a period receipt doesn't make it
more
 authentic (or tastier) than if a past master in the field has already done
so
 and published the results. >>

This is a conundrum because the fact is that many past masters in the field
really had no idea what they were doing. I feel my own redactions are at
least equal to and in many cases more authentic than some which have been
either done or published in the past.

<< Sometimes the fun is in the cooking and dining, regardless of the source
of
 the recipe;>>

I have absolutely no problem with this. In fact, that is what makes it
worthwhile to post redactions or publish them. There are people who just
enjoy cooking for the sake of cooking. Those people need and should expect
good recipes all ready to use. I don't think that my original post (or any
post for that matter) ever said that everyone should be able to 'create'
recipes. Just as one would not expect a leather worker to be able to tan
their own hides, you shouldn't expect a cook to create their own recipes.
OTOH, you would expect a Master leather worker to be able to do so and you
would expect a Master cook to be able to use period recipes to produce feasts.

<< I turn to Joy of Cooking as often as Forme of Cury.>>

For me it is Fanny Farmer and al-Baghdadi. :-)

 <<I, for one,  am glad that there seems to be an increase in the number of
cookbooks of  modern adaptations of medieval cuisine being published. >>

Me, also. If nothing else it raises the odds of finding medieval food being
served at events.

<< I have also filled a large folder (nearing the point of needing binding)
of redactions printed from this list. All of these give me a measure to gauge
my own work by,
 sometimes they have insights or angles I didn't see, >>

Again I think this pretty much describes what almost everyone on this list
does.

<< the work of people who are better cooks than I am!  >>

I have yet to experience this. ;-)

 <<Why post redactions to this list, or publish them in collections, if one
 don't want anyone to use them?>>

Can't imagine why not. I think my original question was why do we use so many
recipes from published sources as opposed to very few of the ones that have
been published here. The question of whether one should or shouldn't use
published sources, those from the list or original redactions to create
feasts was not mentioned in the original message. My answer to that question
was not intended to be anyone else's answer.

<< Rudd Rayfield >>

Ras