SC - pierogis

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Sep 7 21:01:01 PDT 1999

Yana and Bear wrote:

> > I can't find any reference to "pagach" in any of my Russian (English _or_
> > Russian language) cookbooks.  Are these perhaps regional or of a different
> > ethnicity than Russia? (Jewish? Ukrainian?)
>         <clipped>
> > And it looks like I just found a subject for my Independent Study in
> > Russian...
> >
> > --Yana
> >
> I believe all of the information I stated is derived from Russian Jewish
> sources and very possibly represent immigrant recipes.
>
> Bear

See the following URL:

http://www.ebicom.net/kitchen/page/veggies/pagach.htm

I found it interesting that pagach is defined on the Web page as a
Ukranian potato pie, but the recipe given contains none. Whether this is
some kind of typo or whether this is a variant that happens to contain
no potato, as with the date-filled wontons that definitely exist in
China, but don't change the fact that they're _normally_ filled with
chopped pork, shrimp, and mushrooms, I couldn't say.

Anyway, we seem to have at least one vote for this being Ukranian. I
think I have a Jeff Smith recipe for pagach, too, probably in the
Immigrant Ancestors book. Whether he thinks it's Russian or Ukranian I
also couldn't say; it's buried too deeply on the shelves.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com