SC -Lenten/Vegan ideas

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 8 05:42:10 PDT 1999

cclark at vicon.net wrote:

> Apparently neither menu follows Lenten restrictions on milk and eggs. The
> fretour of milk and perhaps the first dariol contain milk or milk products,
> while the dariols, crustede and fretour of milk most likely contain eggs.
> But many of the foods listed here would also be suitable for Lent.

Quite possibly... I recall in the early days of this list having a long
discussion with Lady Katerine Rountre / Angharad / Terry Nutter on the
subject of differences between fish days, flesh days, ember days and
general Lenten practice, which appears to have changed somewhat in parts
of Europe sometime in the fifteenth century or so.

I could be wrong, and possibly somewhat sleep-deprived, but I'm not
positive there are, or were, Lenten restrictions on dairy products. I
seem to recall fish days being stricter than Lent overall, but they
occurred three times a week, not for five weeks on end.

Later on today, when I'm more coherent, I'll see if I can find some more
information on this.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy