SC - pierogis

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 8 06:14:33 PDT 1999

>I found it interesting that pagach is defined on the Web page as a
>Ukranian potato pie, but the recipe given contains none. Whether this is
>some kind of typo or whether this is a variant that happens to contain
>no potato, as with the date-filled wontons that definitely exist in
>China, but don't change the fact that they're _normally_ filled with
>chopped pork, shrimp, and mushrooms, I couldn't say.
>
>Adamantius

Yeah, I thought that was interesting too.  Perhaps I should have referred
to one of the other recipes I found, one has potato-filling as an option.
Of course, that one isn't called "Ukrainian Potato Bread".  :)  I don't
have any Ukrainian cookbooks, so I have to rely on the web, apologies.

http://www.neosoft.com/recipes/breads-yeast/pagach.html
- --Repeat of previously referred to recipe, no potatoes.

http://www.networks-now.net/sspp/9712russ.htm
- --"Russian Christmas Traditions"  No recipe, called Lenten bread, here it
is Russian and not Ukrainian, although the woman sounds like she grew up in
a Ukrainian family from the transliteration of the foodstuffs.  I believe
that Babishka, Zeddo, zaprashka, Bobal'ki are all Ukrainian.  They aren't
Russian, anyway.

http://www.visitjohnstownpa.com/localflavors.html#pagach
- --Recipe that includes potato and cheese filling variation.  Simply called
"pagach".

- --Yana