SC - RE: SC-Lenten/Vegan ideas

RuddR at aol.com RuddR at aol.com
Wed Sep 8 07:03:40 PDT 1999

April Abbott (Sofonisba) writes:

<<Out of curiosity, has anybody ever tried cooking a whole Lenten meal at an
event?>>

It isn't a SCA event, but I host an annual Mid-Lent Feast, on the most
convenient Saturday halfway between Ash Wednesday and Easter.  We adhere
closely to Medieval Lenten food restrictions.  We allow ourselves butter and
cheese, and substitute vegetable stock for meat broth where needed.  We make
sure we have enough lean dishes without fish to satisfy vegetarian guests,
who must always decline invitations to our other, meat-laden medieval feasts.

The menu for this years feast (IIRC):

First Course:
Puree of Peas
Apple Moy
Haddok in Cyvee
Green Garlic Sauce for Fish
Turbut Rost Ensauce
Losynes
Custad Lombard in Lent

Second Course:
Buttered Wortes
Cold Salmon with Vinegar Sauce (Elizabethan, but still delicious)
Shrimp with Vinegar and Parsley
Salat
Eyroun in Lent (egg shells filled with almond cream)
Fresh Fruit

Rudd Rayfield