SC - The Color Blue

Catherine Hartley caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 07:35:32 PDT 1999

>From: LrdRas at aol.com
>
>In a message dated 9/7/99 11:57:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>caitlin_ennis at hotmail.com writes:
>
><< The sauce was made of blackberries, and
>  turned a midnight bluish purple.  When I looked at the "bluest one", it
>  still seemed rather purple with the midnight blue overtone. >>
>
>This does not seem inaccurate to me so far as an acceptable blue color. The
>word cerulean is based on the Latin caeruleus which indicates a dark blue
>is
>what was intended. Ids there a reason that leads you to believe the blue
>should not be as dark as it was?
>
>Ras

It looked more like dark purple to me. The way I read the recipe, I was to
understand it would turn blue. When the sauce is poured out, or a spoon
dipped into it where the juice can run off, the sauce is still distinctly
purple. The last batch I did had some more bluish color, but the hue was
still purple. Maybe I am looking for too much blue. The dark blue I was
expecting may be unreasonable. I thought it would look like a dark blueberry
color. It did not. The blackberry juice I have been playing with, does turn
more distinctly blue (less purple hue).  Perhaps adding the faux verjuice
(cider vinegar, water and wine) has the effect of not letting the juice
oxidixe? I wouldn't know.

Caitlin