Parsley (was Re: SC - Experiments)

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 8 09:27:44 PDT 1999

>Ras wrote:
> >> because we can find fresh herbs in the middle of winter doesn't mean
>that
> >> they did so in Europe during the MA. Explain, please.
>
>And Brighid answered:
> >It was mostly the parsley that I was referring to.  Unlike many other
> >herbs, parsley seems to lose a lot of its flavor when it's dried.  I
> >would assume that the growing season in Spain is much longer than
> >other parts of Europe, and that fresh herbs would be more readily
> >available.
> >
>We can grow parsley here year round (San Jose CA, about an hour south of
>San Francisco) and I would expect the climate to be similar to parts of
>Spain.
>
>Elizabeth/Betty Cook

Parsley is a tough little plant, it always overwinters here and goes to seed
the following summer.  Even during one of the worst winters I've been
through in this part of North Carolina, only the second time in 15 years
I've seen snow come and stay for over a week, along with the accompanying
sub-freezing temps at night.  No mulch, except for the 6 inches of snow, and
my "micro-climate" was in bottomland by a creek.

Bonne
(all those yankees are laughing at my suffering through 6 inches of snow on
the ground for a week, I know.)