SC - Recipe request for trotters-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 06:53:30 PDT 1999

In a message dated 9/10/99 5:58:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cnevin at caci.co.uk writes:

<< Can anyone think of any recipes,
 preferably period, for these? Failing that, anything you've found tasty. >>

I simmer them in water to cover with 1 T of pickling spice and a pinch of
salt added to the water until they are tender.

They can then be eaten as is or drained and  broiled.

Another variation I use is to drain them dip in egg and cracker crumbs and
fry them in lard until golden brown.  MY favorite! :-))

Using the boiling technique above, add 1 cup vinegar for every 3 cups water.
This produces pickled pig's feet. Remove the feet from the stock when tender
and boil the stock until reduced by one-third. Pour over feet. This produces
the jellied pickled pig's feet you often times find in the supermarket.

BTW, you have them in the freezer because they were available at the time. I
have pig maws in my freezer along with other tasty tidbits like deer
testicles just because they were there for the getting so I grabbed them up
while I could. You never know when the Royals may be coming to an event and
collecting these tasty tidbits as they appear assures you of a  variety of
special treats for Their Excellencies. :-)

Ras