SC - Recipe request for trotters

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Fri Sep 10 12:37:29 PDT 1999

Lucretiza wrote:

>Saluti,
>
>Whilst excavating in my chest freezer a couple of days ago, I came across
>some pig's trotters which I bought for goodness knows what reason. But
>they're there, so I may as well use them. Can anyone think of any recipes,
>preferably period, for these? Failing that, anything you've found tasty.
>
>Al Vostro e al Servizio del Sogno
>Lucretzia

If you feel up to making something like salami, I'd suggest you try your hand at
zampone, which is a meat mixture stuffed into a pig's lower leg. This is what
information I have which is out of Traditional Italian Food by Laura Busini
Birch.

zampone - Zampone is very similar to cotechino, but the meat mixture is stuffed
into a pig's leg.

cotechino - ...Cotechino looks like a small salame, but it is very different, in
the fact that the main ingredient in its making is the cotica or cotenna (skin)
of the pig. The skin is put through a mincer a couple of times, then mixed with
some lard and the cheapest cuts from the pig, and all minced together. It is
preserved with salt, pepper and spices in gut. Cotechino has to be boiled and is
eaten hot.

I had zampone while in Italy and it's quite yummy.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL