SC - New World Feast - references

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Sat Sep 11 08:45:25 PDT 1999

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 CBBike at aol.com wrote:
> Mostly looking for native recipes, but would also be highly interested in
> European recipes with New World ingredients.

Greetings from Albuquerque, NM

Zuni Pueblo food:
Rita Edaakie, _Idonapshe, Let's Eat_, 1999, UNM Press, Albuquerque.
ISBN: 0-8263-2046-5, paper

photos, folklore, recipes: breads (piki), vegetables (yucca pods, cactus,
wild greens), soups (bean, corn smut, rabbit, chile, deer), main dishes
(roasted prairie dog & corn mush w/ locusts), snacks & desserts (jerky,
salsa, pudding) and "this and that" (tea, sourdough).

I just bought this.  I have not made anything yet.  Incidences of plague
and hantavirus are high this year, so I will not be going after rabbit
or prairie dog.  Maybe next year.

Pueblo & Navajo:
Marcia Keegan, _Southwest Indian Cookbook_, 1977, Clear Light
Publications, New Jersey, paper.
ISBN: 940666-03-0

Photos, songs, poems, folklore -- oh, yeah, recipes: soups, vegetables,
meats, breads.

This was my first Indian cookbook.  Everything is delicious.

Mayan:
Copeland Marks, _False Tongues and Sunday Bread_, 1985, M. Evans & Co., NY
ISBN: 87131-466-5, hardback

glossary, cooking techniques, ingredients, recipes: Beans, tamales, soups,
turkey, duck, beef, pork, seafood, PRE-COLUMBIAN chocolate drinks (tiste,
pinolillo), vegetables, salads, pickles, and desserts.

The tastes are strange, but savoury, some of the ingredients are seasonal
(tomatillos) and the chile mixes are subtle.  Some of the obscure chiles
are only available dried, not fresh.  The meat dishes and the shark are
excellent.

Sheila Cameron, _The Best from New Mexico Kitchens_, 1978, NM Magazine
press, paper  - STILL IN PRINT
ISBN 937206-00-08

The story of the Nakayama Chile rating scale (how hot is hot?), how to
build an outdoor oven w/ diagrams and measurements, tortillas, sourdough,
squash, pumpkin, fry bread, Navajo puberty ceremony cake, corn, mutton,
pin~ons, flan, empanadas...  Over half are modern recipes, but this book
is fun to use.

Cleofas Jaramillo, _Genuine New Mexico Tasty Recipes_, (1939) 1981,
Ancient City Press, PO Box 5401, Santa Fe, NM 87502, paper.
ISBN 941270-07-6

peas, beans, squash, quince, eggs, puddings, pies, snacks, gruels,
short stories on menus, herbs, pin~on picking, penetentes, holy weeks and
SW foods. I have no clue if Ancient City press is still in business.  I
have avoided Santa Fe since it was purchased by California.

I'm doing a yard sale out front.  Be back tomorrow

Ariann