SC - Fwd - from cider digest

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Sat Sep 11 10:26:34 PDT 1999

Hello!  I thought some of you might be interested in this from the cider
digest. This fellow is trying to save historic apple cultivars.

Cindy

Subject: more on that ontario orchard
From: Greg Appleyard <greg.appleyard at usask.ca>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:43:14 -0400

The following is forwarded to the cider-digest.

**************
Re: Orchard in Danger:

I received many responses to my SOS about the orchard in danger. I spoke
with the owner, and he has allowed me to write the following list, and to
include his name and address.

The James McCannell Orchard
556 Algoma Avenue
Box 34
Port McNicoll Ontario
L0K 1R0
705-534-7384

Port McNicoll is located on the south shore of Georgian Bay, 150 km north
of Toronto. The following is a list of apple varieties in James’
orchard. The majority of James' apples came from the Museum Orchard in
Vineland Ontario in 1984. When James heard that the Ontario government had
ordered the orchard cut down, he went there and took as many cuttings as he
could, and grafted them to his trees at home. When he ran out of space, he
finished by grafting 26 different varieties on to one tree. They all took!
This is an amazing tree to behold! He has since removed some, but the tree
is still producing 18 different varieties of apples! For any additional
information on the trees and varieties, and the availability of cuttings,
please contact James directly.

Alexander, Baldwin, Baxter, Ben Davis, Blenheim Pippin, Blue Pearmain,
Bottle Greening, Cabashea, Canada Red, Chenango, Collingwood Greening
(Rhode Island), Colvert, Cortland , Cranberry Pippin, Duchess, Fallawater,
Gano, Golden Bough, Golden Delicious, Golden Russet, Granny Smith,
Gravenstein, Grimes Golden, Haas, Hislop Crab, Hubbardston, Kentish
Fillbasket, King, Lady, Macintosh, Maiden Blush, Mann, Margaret Pratt,
McMahon, Milwaukee, North Star, Northwest Greening, Ontario, Primate,
Princess Louise, Red Astrachan, Red Delicious, Red Granny, Red Rambo, Red
Melba, Rescue Crab, Ribston Pippin, Rome Beauty, Roxbury Russet, St.
Lawrence, Scarlet Pippin, Seek-No-Further, Snow, Spitzenberg, Spy, Stark,
Swayzie (Pomme Grise), Sweet Bough, Tolman Sweet, Twenty Ounce ( Cayuga Red
Streak), Viking, Wagener, Wealthy, Winesap, Winter Banana, Wolf River,
Yellow Bellflower, Yellow Transparent, York Imperial.

If anyone in Canada wants cuttings, now is your chance.

Thank you all for your interest,
Elizabeth