SC - Russian embassy meal

Jenn/Yana jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
Sun Sep 12 15:44:10 PDT 1999

>>I don't think Vodka is period, even by SCA standards.
>Actually it is. It just wasn't make out of potatos. It was made out of
>grains instead.

When you get a moment in your copious free time, I'd like the reference for
SCA-period vodka.  I don't recall seeing any reference to making it with
grains, but I could just be forgetting.

>> How about making
>>Kvass instead?
>No time to let it get bubbly, and I can't find any of the concentrate around
>here that would be ready in time.

That's really too bad, my Pennsic batch turned out really good (according
to the people who drank it).  I think I'll stock up on the concentrate next
time we go to Chicago and send it out in care packages for all my Russian
cook compatriots.  :)

>> Lemon drink? While lemons were known in period,
>>I doubt Russia got any, at least not enough to use for drinks.
>This is late period, and a Mongol- influenced drink. supposed to be
>alchoholic, but I'm not putting the rum in it.

Is this sbiten' (hot alcoholic lemon drink)?  And yes Stephen, lemons were
known in period Russia, but they likely arrived packed in salt or preserved
in brine, according to the book  _Bread and Salt_.  Depends on how salty
you like your drinks, I suppose.  :)

>Will post recipies after the insanity dies down.
>
>Anya

Khorosho (good).  Have fun!

Yana (Ilyana Barsova)  jdmiller2 at students.wisc.edu
         http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~jdmiller2
"Shchi da kasha, pischa nasha"
       -- Cabbage soup and kasha are our native food