SC - Orange Omelette - Question re. serving

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 13 04:08:06 PDT 1999

Susan P Laing wrote:

> So the questions are :
> A)Has anyone made it for an event and if so - how did you manage to get it from
> the kitchen to the food bowls without it going cold

Please understand my experience is with other omelettes, not this one,
but in case it helps anyway...

Get all your ingredients and several well-seasoned pans ready and turn
them out factory-style, with no more than two pans per cook working on
them. You can't turn out a decent omelette without two hands on each
omelette, but you can do the stirring thing in one pan and let it set a
bit while stirring the other.

Another possibility might be to make them like tortillas or frittatas,
scrambling the eggs, let them set just a bit, turning them over, and
putting them in the oven to finish. This would allow a little leeway.

> B) Does it taste alright when cool

Room temp, yes. Chilled, no. (shudder) With the exception of those sushi
omelettes, I suppose.

> & C) - I've heard that it's not precisely an "omlette" (ie fairly solid when
> cooked) but more of a runny type of pudding - is this correct??

The recipe doesn't say, unfortunately. The translation in TMK is pretty
good, I'd say. It calls the dish "fritatem", which isn't real helpful
unless there are amazing revelations in a medieval Latin dictionary. I
think this could be anywhere from a sauced fricassee (it's not
unprecedented to omit all reference to meat in pottage dishes that are,
in some cases, supposed to be meat-in-sauce dishes, like some of the
syrosye-type thingies in England) to a firmly cooked omelette. The best
I can say is that Platina, as I recall, says not to overcook eggs, and
he's _roughly_ contemporary to the cook who wrote this recipe (1470's
C.E. Rome instead of 1430's C.E. Rome). The recipe just says to take
beaten eggs and cook them. It may be a matter of taste.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com