SC - Almond Paste

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 13 21:38:13 PDT 1999

Ldy Diana commented:
>     Almonds ground in the processor won't be as finely or evenly ground as
> their commercial counterparts. To get them finer, grind in small batches,
> and/or use a coffee grinder. Sometimes a coarser grind is fine for what you
> are doing, and you can just toss them in the processor and go, but if it's an
> issue, use the coffee/spice grinder, in small handfuls.

Interesting. I've seen descriptions here on making almond milk that talked
of grinding the almonds in blenders or food processors. Would using a coffee/
spice grinder to get finer almond particles instead of the blender or food
processor yield more almond milk from the same amount of almonds?

And I noted in the grocery store a few days ago that the coffee grinder was
marketed as both a coffee and a spice grinder. I didn't buy it though. I
guess for now I will keep using my mortar and pestle. I'm getting tired
of dicing vegetables, though. I may yet buy a food processor. It took me
more time to prepare the vegetables for the soup than to cook the soup.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:
         http://lg_photo.home.texas.net/florilegium/index.html ****