SC - OOP - seed cake help

cclark at vicon.net cclark at vicon.net
Wed Sep 15 07:23:44 PDT 1999

Chimene wrote:
>Looking for a recipe for "seed cake" my husband remembers his English
>grandmother making...  he remembers multiple "seeds"

Maybe this isn't as OOP as you meant :-), but there are recipes for seed
cakes in _Martha_Washington's_Booke_of_Cookery_, transcibed by Karen Hess.
This book most likely originated in 17th century England, perhaps about
1650. The aniseed cake calls for flour, butter, and sugar-coated anise
seeds, in proportions resembling shortbread. The caraway cake has additional
ingredients: rose water, perhaps some egg whites or yolks, etc.

There are also English recipes from this period for large currant cakes that
sometimes call for either caraway or anise. I haven't seen any such recipes
that call for poppy or sesame.

Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon