SC - Period Scottish Dessert

pat fee lcatherinemc at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:37:04 PDT 1999

  This is the "modern " version, in modern english.  If you want the
original, I can get it but not this week.  I expect my cook book back
sometime next week.

   Apples baked in Scotch

four to six good sized apples.
1 large hand-full currents (1 cup aprox.)
1/2 cup good honey (I use wild flower)
Enough Scotch to cover the currents when placed in a small bowl.
1/2 cup of chopped nuts of your choice.  Hazelnuts, toasted work well.
  Soak the currents in the Scotch for at least 12 hours. Drain the currents
and set aside.  Warm the honey and add the remaining Scotch from the
currents. Gently simmer the honey and scotch until it thickens to a heavy
syrup consistency.
Cut small slice off the top of the apples, core.
Mix 1/2 the nuts and the currents.  Stuff the apples with this mixture
Place in an iron baking dish(this is what the original calles for) just
large enough to hold the apples touching each other.  Pour the syrup over
the apples, making sure that some goes over the stuffing and wetting it.
Bake for one hour at 350 degrees.  The first part of the hour cover the
apples.  After this, remove the cover and sprinkle the apples with the
remaining nuts.

This can be served on rounds of pound cake or sweet biscuits.

Lady Katherine McGuire