SC - It's Harvest Time

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Sat Sep 18 10:37:40 PDT 1999

Greetings list,

Here in Alaska, it's harvest time as the first frosts are mere moments away. My
apprentice Claire and I travelled to a local U-Pick farm yesterday and had a
wonderful time despite high winds, rain, and slippery mud. Suffice it to say our
gathering was successful. We came away with radishes, turnips (with greens),
beets (with greens), red kale, spinach, carrots, raspberries (VERY ripe), and a
handful of dill. Today we join a friend who is trying out some recipes for an
upcoming event and plan to use our newly picked harvest.

There's a problem, though. I've searched through some of my historic cook books
and I'm having difficulty finding recipes which use carrots (or parsnips for
that matter), turnips, and beets. I've found various recipes which use the
greens and a recipe in Miscellany that uses radishes in a candy.

Were these root vegetables so common that they were not included in the cook
books? I'd really like to go back and get more (we're looking to try to store
these vegetables for use in January for 12th Night) but I'm not sure how much to
get since I don't have recipes that use them.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Kerri
Cedrin Etainnighean, OL