SC - Boar Recipe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 18 20:16:02 PDT 1999

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> Pork is red meat?  Then all those TV ads that I have
> been seeing here in Caid about pork being the "other
> white meat" are false advertising?
>
> Huette

No, I don't recall calling pork red meat. Boar, however, is a darker
reddish-pink than the meat of domesticated hogs, approaching meats like
lamb in color. If you look at the cuts of domesticated pork, you'll
notice much darker shades in portions like the shoulder
picnic/cala/pernil/hand/arm of the hog than in the loin and tenderloin.
Boar looks more like the shoulder.

I think we've pretty well established that venison is a pretty broad
term, but I myself have never heard it applied to game birds or
lagomorphs, etc., hence the reference to red meat.

As for the false advertising question, yes, pretty much.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com